[plug] new linux user

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Tue Sep 28 23:48:49 WST 1999

> Tom,
>  welcome to linux and plug. A few points that may help:
> - use the subject line. In this case it might include 'gdm', so
> 	that someone who uses that program may read the message.
> - please dont post HTML to the list. Some people dont use MS outlook.
> - please keep line less than 75 columns, or its hard to quote and reply.
>
> A core dump is used by a debugger such as gdb. But 'file core' will tell
> you what dropped it. Try "gdb <program-path> core" to debug it, if youre
> keen.
>
>   What window manager do you use? It may be obvious to those who use it,
> but will save the rest of us some time.

gdm is gnome display manager; with gnome he'd be using enlightenment.

We have RHL 6 on three machines here, no similar problems. Do apply all
updates though, the GA version was a bit unstable.

I've also discovered recent XFree's aren't keen on S3 cards; swapping to a
text console and back can destroy its palette. Gnome diskplays in
monochrome blue is difficult to read.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield