[plug] new linux user

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Wed Sep 29 10:19:38 WST 1999

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Tony Clark wrote:

> You could always chmod u+s minicom so it runs with root privilages, then
> lock files or com ports would not cause any problems.

You should never make programs SUID-root if you can avoid it.  By making
Minicom SUID-root as you advocate above, you are opening up a security
hole - I know minicom has/had at least one buffer overflow in it, allowing
anybody with "user" access to your system to become root.

You are much better off leaving minicom the way it is, and then adding
people you trust to the dialout group in /etc/group.

If you really want to give everyone the ability to dial out on your
system, then you're still better off to change the permissions on
/dev/ttySx (where x is the device your modem is on) to give people
access to that modem only, rather than giving everybody access to your
root account.

 - Matt