[plug] new linux user

Tony Clark tony at ballist.net.au
Wed Sep 29 09:52:30 WST 1999

You could always chmod u+s minicom so it runs with root privilages, then
lock files or com ports would not cause any problems.

I agree with the comments on kde...it is more stable at this point in time.

At 09:24 29/09/99 +0800, you wrote:
>> Tom Baric wrote:
><snip>
>> applications such as minicom and extace will only stay on screen for
>> a second or two and disappear. When I go to add certain applets to
>
>Minicom usually requires you to be root to run since the comports are
>owned by root. If you try to run it as a user the window will just
>flash up then close. Try it from a terminal to see any error messages.
>
>Sorry I can't help with anything else. I had similar problems with
>gnome and switched to kde.

Tony Clark
HDL Electronics Pty Ltd
Contract VHDL, FPGA, ASIC and electronic design services
Mobiles: Australia 61 411 577 715  Hong Kong 852 9616 9716