[plug] new linux user

Len Bird lenbird at iinet.net.au
Wed Sep 29 20:15:41 WST 1999

I had a generally similar problem with one of two machines I have here,
one was a Cyrix 686 @ 134 megs with a Cirrus Video Card, and the other
is a Pentium 2 @ 350 Mhz with an S-3 Video Card. This latter machine was
the problem child. I loaded RH-6 into both machines, and by default,
Gnome/Enlightenment is the X server. It was so bad that I could not even
begin to describe the peculiar and erratic display behaviour, and nobody
was likely to be interested anyhow.

I eventually swapped over the Video Cards so the the Cyrix 686 now has
the S-3 card, and the Pentium 2 has the Cirrus Logic Card. Both machines
seem to be happy with this situation.  John Summerfield's response to
your problem seems to confirm that there is some kind of problem with
S-3 Video Cards, and I took a hint from a previous comment from that
source and this prompted me to swap the Video cards about.  It should
however be bourne in mind that no two hardware situations are ever
identical.

I hope this is of some assistance, and wish you the best of luck,

Regards,  Len Bird