[plug] My Rave for the day

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Fri Apr 7 12:00:34 WST 2000

Brad Campbell wrote:

> Windows would NEVER let me write at 4x on-the-fly, over a loaded
>
> 10BaseT Network.. it would always buffer underrun, linux does not
>
> even blink.
The machine in front of me (K6-2-500+64MB) gets a sustained (Nc-) FTP
rate of 8 megabytes/second over 100BaseT (from a K6-2-400 with 128MB
which is being a proxy, masq, mail, web, name etc server) while burning
a CD at 4x (6% max buffer useage) from a local hard disk and playing
Monty Python's "Brave Sir Robin" song with XMMS through an ISA
sound-card. And browsing/emailing with Mozilla M14.

I haven't one with a CD burner in it to test, but a P-133 here also gets
8MB/s FTPing from/to the same server while playing MP3s through a PCI
soundcard. I have to "renice -5" XMMS or the sound goes all choppy.

The Windows 98 SE machine behind me (K6-II-450+256MB) has thrown
PhotoShop away again and probably needs reinstalling. You'd be lucky to
get 1/6 of the FTP speed out of it without trying to run anything else,
even when it's in good nick. And installing RealPlayer on it is almost
certain death. The same machine running under Linux gets - surprise -
8MB/s...

Perhaps we should do an informal NT benchmark, to be fair?