Overclocking & CPU Heat Re: [plug] My Rave for the day

Chris Griffin chrisg at doladns.dola.wa.gov.au
Fri Apr 7 15:18:48 WST 2000

What do you use to check/monitor the CPU temp. under Linux?

Regards,
Chris Griffin

At 13:42 7/04/2000 +0800, you wrote:
> > Interesting, Win95 would not run on the O/C Machine, where as
> > I never get so much as a SIG11 or BusFault out of Linux..
>
>Even after running CPU intensive apps for a long time?
>
>Linux calls the halt instruction on CPUs when they are not being used,
>whereas windows just makes the CPU run an idle loop. Compare CPU
>temperatures (on a system with CPU temp sensors) to see what I mean.
>My CPUs run at ~35 degrees under Linux but ~45 or higher under windows.
>
>My G/F complained because our home computer kept crashing under windows,
>whereas I achieved uptimes of weeks under linux. Almost managed to convert
>her to the light side as a result, because she was forced to run nothing
>but linux. Alas, I failed when I found, and fixed the problem - the cpu
>fan had stopped spinning.. However under Linux it wasn't generating enough
>heat to cause a problem.
>
>btw the system was a K5/166 at the time
>
>  - Matt

                               \\\___///
                               \\  - -  //
                                (  @ @  )
+----------------------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo--------------+
| Chris Griffin, Senior Network Engineer                |
| Email: chris.griffin at mitswa.com.au                    |
| Managed Information Technology Solutions (M.I.T.S)    |
| 1st Floor, Batholomew House, 31 Ventnor Avenue,       |
| West Perth W.A. 6005                                  |
| PH: +61 (08) 9481-4066  FAX: +61 (08) 9481-4064       |
I haven't lost my mind -     oooO   (   )
- it's backed up on tape    (   )    ) /
   somewhere.                 \ (    (_/
                               \_)