[plug] Advice needed (XFree 4)

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Mon Apr 10 12:50:40 WST 2000

"Scott, Simon" wrote:
> I cant even
> imagine trying to upgrade to Xfree86 4.0.... what a mess RPM makes.

Funny that you should pick this example, for (under Mandrake 7.0) it
turned out to be painless. Untar, make world, do the config, all
finished.

S3 cards run much better, and the SiS card that the machine started with
(we had to axe it because it was physically too long, occupied the only
PCI slot not shadowed by the CPU heatsink, and we needed to put a long
SCSI adaptor card in the machine) was about three times less inclined to
spit garbage all over the screen (note, this is running with
*everything* including the mouse cursor done in software, yet another
SiS card here, identical chipset, motherboard and CPU runs without a
hint of a glitch totally accelerated under 3.3.6).

--
If at first you don't succeed, try a shorter bungee.