[plug] Advice needed

Scott, Simon Simon.Scott at SEALCORP.com.au
Mon Apr 10 10:06:33 WST 2000

Which distro do you use? Im leaning towards Slackware at the moment (which
is a shame, I just ordered Mandrake 7 the other day :\)

>  Simon Scott
>  DBA
>  Sealcorp Holdings Limited
>  Perth, WA
>  e-mail:  simon.scott at sealcorp.com.au
>  phone:  08 9265 5648
"A computer without a Microsoft Operating System is like a dog without
bricks tied to its head."

-----Original Message-----
From: Bevan Broun [mailto:bevanb at ee.uwa.edu.au]
Sent: Monday, 10 April 2000 9:59
To: plug at plug.linux.org.au
Subject: Re: [plug] Advice needed

on Mon, Apr 10, 2000 at 09:23:44AM +0800, Scott, Simon
<Simon.Scott at SEALCORP.com.au> wrote:
> pleases.... I'd like to keep everything not in a *basic* install in
> /usr/local... and I would like to build the whole lot from source (use the
> source Luke!).
>
> I would like to avoid, however, the need to compile *everything*. Is there
> clean, uncluttered distribution which wont fill /etc with config files Ill
> never use, and have 43000 programs in /usr/bin I dont even know the
function
> of?

I like this idea too but it's not quite as easy as it sounds. I kept
/usr/local with all my compiled stuff (most of the software I had
installed) on a seperate partition. Then I wiped my system, kept
/usr/local and /home and tried to run the binaries in /usr/local/bin -
too many programs wouldnt work because of dependancies on libaries in
/lib or /usr/lib. I ended up wiping /usr/local and compiling again.

What I do these days is install my base system which has:
1) every thing I need to compile
2) programs I dont care to stay up todate with and/or that are a big
compile, eg gnome.
3) I keep the source for my most needed tools and compile when Ive
done a system wipe.

BB
--
Bevan Broun                                           ph (08) 9380 1587
Computer Systems Officer                             fax (08) 9380 1065