[plug] Compiling

Scott, Simon Simon.Scott at SEALCORP.com.au
Mon Apr 17 10:23:56 WST 2000

I missed the zImage thing... this was ofcourse the problem

Please excuse me, Ive been smoking crack again :)

>  Simon Scott
>  DBA
>  Sealcorp Holdings Limited
>  Perth, WA
>  e-mail:  simon.scott at sealcorp.com.au
>  phone:  08 9265 5648
4.31 How many times can you re-use CD-RW before they become faulty?
Good question.
(Linux CD-Writing HOWTO,
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO-4.html#ss4.31)

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott, Simon [mailto:Simon.Scott at SEALCORP.com.au]
Sent: Monday, 17 April 2000 9:43
To: 'plug at plug.linux.org.au'
Subject: RE: [plug] Compiling

The correct sequence is

		make mrproper (altho I dont think this does alot)
		make clean
		make xconfig (altho I use make menuconfig, xconfig sometimes
misses options)
		make dep
		make bzImage (or zImage etc there are a few)
		make modules
		at this point I rename my /lib/modules/2.2blah modules
directory, to make way for the new one... I may be wrong with this, but if I
dont I get lots of problems at boot due to the stale modules lying around)
		make modules_install (will create the /lib/modules/2.2blah
directory for you)

by doing make clean where you are, I believe you are probably wiping out the
dependency info it has built. Thus the kernel probably isnt building, thus
error 1