[plug] Debian Trap for the unaware

Andrew Howell andrew at belzedar.leederville.it.net.au
Mon Apr 17 15:36:25 WST 2000

On Mon, Apr 17, 2000 at 02:54:57PM +0800, Brad Campbell wrote:
> Afternoon all,
> a quick one, to save any of you that might get caught..
> Just set up a new box, using debian slink (2.1)
> to save time I put the drive in my potato machine, and
> fdisk'd and mke2fs's it there..
> mount in slink, would not recognise the partition I
> created with mke2fs from potato..!?!?
>
> Potato had no problems mounting the drive, and after
> mke2fs from slink was run on it, neither had any
> problems mounting it...
>
> I have not gone into it further, but something is a bit
> wierd.

This is probably because under potato you created filesystems
with sparse superblocks which on 2.2 kernels can understand.

Last time I installed a potato box under i386 it defaulted to not using
sparse superblocks. Last time I did it on a sparc it asked me.

I'm assuming your slink box is still running a 2.0 kernel.

Andrew

--
Andrew Howell
Managing Director