[plug] SendMail please help

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Tue Apr 18 22:48:13 WST 2000

On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Robert Andrews wrote:

> Hi all im trying to set up Sendmail
> When i try to send a email to a Linux user on my linux box via my isp server I

Why send via your ISP _and_ setup local sendmail?

Do you really want your address to be @squirrel-gw.kal.emerge.net.au ?

First you'll need a domain and a DNS server.

Basically, your sendmail chokes on the squirrel-gw domain. Have you
set that as your hostname? What have you done so far to sendmail config?
Please give more info.

> get a returned Mail a copy is supplied below can somebody figure out what I
> have set up incorrectly in Sendmail

Without seeing the config? Are we telepathic?

> I have a gateway address with a permanet ip no 203.57.132.141
> also I have no idea as to what settings i should place in my browser
>
> These are my normal mail settings for my isp
> i.e Incomeing Mail (pop3) = pop.emerge.net.au
>      Outgoing Mail (smtp0  = relay.emerge.net.au

That means your browser is sending and receiving directly from the ISP.
Why on earth do you want sendmail then?

> I can see nowhere in the help files where to name or setup these servers in
> Sendmail

Sendmail can be very complex. What have you read?

> > <<< 554 rewrite: excessive recursion (max 50), ruleset 3

This is coming directly from your sendmail.

Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--