[plug] Sendmail relay authentication

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Wed Apr 19 11:58:01 WST 2000

On Tue, Apr 18, 2000 at 03:18:02PM +0800, Paul Baumgarten wrote:
> G'day... everyone on holidays?  the list has been fairly quiet.
>
> I have a bit of a sendmail relaying question for everyone
>
> I want to be able to allow staff who connect to the 'net via their ISP of
> choice from home to send mail using our sever.  I am using Sendmail
> 8.9.3-10.  With the current config anyone who attempts to do so gets the
> "550 We do not relay" message.  Relaying is currently configured for our
> internal LAN's IP addresses only.  Unfortuantely because it is impossible to
> know what IP our staff will use to connect on, I can't establish a static
> list of external allowed IPs.

This may be a silly question, but why do you want to do this?  For most
legitimate purposes one SMTP server is as good as any other.  If your
staff's home computers are already configured for their ISP, why go to
the trouble of reconfiguring them all?  It won't matter from your ISPs
server's perspective whether their email address is
something at your.org.au or something at isp.com.au.  There are probably
situations where you do *need* to do what you're trying to do but there
are also plenty of situations where you don't.

Regards,

Christian.