[plug] S3 Trio3D AGP

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Wed Apr 26 14:04:20 WST 2000

On Wed, Apr 26, 2000 at 01:52:03PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> I may not be much help, but we have computers running with S3 Trio Virge
> cards, and the last computer that we got, I made a point of avoiding
> using AGP components, as I understood that Linux had problems with AGP.
> That was about a year ago, I think.
> I understood that the later kernels were supposed to have overcome the
> AGP problem.
> It wouldn't be a problem due to any problems with AGP, would it?

I have an AGP 3DLabs Permedia 2 card at home and it works fine -- the
XFree86 docs seem to suggest that if the card works under PCI then it
should work under AGP without any problems at all (from what I
understand it's definitely not a kernel problem).  I don't really
understand what the distinction is between PCI and AGP (apart from the
different physical interface) and cat'ting /proc/pci seems to indicate
that Linux treats AGP devices as if they were PCI... (I'm sure someone
else probably understands the subtlies of this than I.)

Regards,

Christian.