[plug] Hostname change

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Wed Apr 26 18:21:10 WST 2000

> Apart from /etc/HOSTNAME & /proc/sys/kernal/hostname, what else do I
> have to change to alter the hostname of a box? When I boot the /proc
> entry reverts to the old entry.

> I have two boxes to modify. Both are RedHat (differing versions)

> Before anybody asks, yes I have also modified the relevant (LM)HOST
> files (no DNS), so once I get it right the machines will still find each
> other.

To change the name instantly/temporarily, use...

    hostname newhostname

...and...

    domainname newdomainname

...to make the change permanent, on a redhattish system, you will need
to also edit /etc/sysconfig/network and change the HOSTNAME= line (the
name) and the NISDOMAIN= line (the domain). Again on a redhattish
system, do...

    /etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart

...to see if the permanent changes you made were right.

--
If at first you don't succeed, try a shorter bungee.