[plug] Hostname change

Ian Kent ian.kent at pobox.com
Wed Apr 26 21:05:38 WST 2000

At 06:21 PM 26-04-00 +0800, you wrote:

snip ...

>To change the name instantly/temporarily, use...
>
>     hostname newhostname
>
>...and...
>
>     domainname newdomainname
>
>...to make the change permanent, on a redhattish system, you will need

Are you sure about this?
I can't see how the NIS domain name is related to the hostname or for that
matter DNS.

>to also edit /etc/sysconfig/network and change the HOSTNAME= line (the
>name) and the NISDOMAIN= line (the domain). Again on a redhattish
>system, do...
>
>     /etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart
>
>...to see if the permanent changes you made were right.

NISDOMAIN is not used in setting the hostname or the DNS domain name on a
Redhat system.
I believe to change the hostame of a Redhat system you need to change the
HOSTNAME= and possibly the DOMAINNAME= in /etc/sysconfig/network and
restart your system.

The DOMAINNAME variable is set by config. programs but not actually used at
system startup (as far as I can see).

Why restart?
Simply because so much stuff uses hostname or IP address related services!

Regards
Ian