[plug] Hostname change

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Thu Apr 27 09:32:15 WST 2000

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, Ian Kent wrote:

> Why restart?
> Simply because so much stuff uses hostname or IP address related services!

But you don't need to restart the whole system, just HUP the daemons that
are still using the old hostname (mainly syslog)

When I changed spark's name from canopus, all I did was run "hostname" and
edit /etc/hostname (Debian system), and the postfix/apache etc config,
then restart syslogd, postfix, apache etc.

The system wasn't rebooted for the next month at least, and had no
hostname related problems.

 - Matt "Rebooting is for hardware & kernel upgrades" Kemner