[plug] Hostname change - why NISDOMAIN?

Ian Kent ian.kent at pobox.com
Sat Apr 29 19:25:50 WST 2000

At 03:28 PM 27-04-00 +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:

>Likewise - however, NISDOMAIN _is_ used by startup: it is used to set
>the domainname, which I why I recommended changing it - this code
>snippet is from /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit :
>
>     # Set the NIS domain name
>     if [ -n "$NISDOMAIN" ]; then
>         action "Setting NIS domain name $NISDOMAIN" domainname
>$NISDOMAIN
>     else
>         domainname ""
>     fi

man domainname gives:

HOSTNAME(1)         Linux Programmer's Manual         HOSTNAME(1)

NAME
        hostname - show or set the system's host name
        domainname - show or set the system's NIS/YP domain name
                                                                                   ---^----
        dnsdomainname - show the system's DNS domain name
        nisdomainname - show or set system's NIS/YP domain name
        ypdomainname - show or set the system's NIS/YP domain name
        nodename - show or set the system's DECnet node name