[plug] Hostname change - why NISDOMAIN?

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Sat Apr 29 22:46:38 WST 2000

Ian Kent wrote:
> At 03:28 PM 27-04-00 +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
>> Likewise - however, NISDOMAIN _is_ used by startup: it is used to set
>> the domainname, which I why I recommended changing it - this code
>> snippet is from /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit :

>>     # Set the NIS domain name
>>     if [ -n "$NISDOMAIN" ]; then
>>         action "Setting NIS domain name $NISDOMAIN" domainname $NISDOMAIN
>>     else
>>         domainname ""
>>     fi

> man domainname gives:
>         domainname - show or set the system's NIS/YP domain name
>         dnsdomainname - show the system's DNS domain name

True. Perhaps I should pay more attention to documentation. (-:

I can only get hostname -f to work on this machine (unless I want to
tinker with NIS) by including a line in /etc/hosts which begins:

    127.0.0.1 full.host.name.with.domain other.name yet.another.name

However, as far as name services are concerned, "relative" host names
(ie not ending in .) get whatever follows "domain" in /etc/resolv.conf
appended.

--
Dogs have masters. Cats have staff.