[plug] squid

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Tue Aug 1 16:50:01 WST 2000

> So im assuming a Pentium 60 with 16Megs of RAM won't cut it :)
>
> And yes it is just for a 56k connection.

If you restrict the cache size to a couple of hundred Megs you should be
OK

I suggest you try it with 100MB, let it run for a few weeks, and when the
cache is 100% full (and the machine has been switched on for 24 hours at
least) run "free" to see how much RAM is available, and adjust the cache
size if there is plenty of free RAM.

Be careful you don't increase it too much - leave a couple of MB available
for "in-transit" files.

Also keep in mind the 32MB/1GB rule I mentioned before is a _very_ rough
guide.

FYI my proxy server is currently using about 10GB of disk space and about
450MB of RAM, but I recently had to flush the caches - it was using 20GB
before, in less than 512MB of RAM.

 - Matt