[plug] Newbie : Install Question

James Tan shishio at dingoblue.net.au
Tue Aug 1 21:33:56 WST 2000

> Just to let you know.... no intention to put you off, but since win2k has
> its own boot loader (like Linux), a win2k/linux dual boot is not as simple
> as a win98 dual boot.
>
> There are how-to documents all over the net on how to do it, but if you
> dont u'll have linux or win2k not both.  the ide devices you have will be
> sufficient, but one further question *only relevant if u intend to use
> lilo* what filesystem are u using on primary master (if fat32 no probs/ if
> ntfs i suggest using ntloader)

I chose FAT32 instead of NTFS.  I don't have a floppy drive installed on
that
pc tho.

> Good luck and welcome to the world of Linux
>
> btw: I also have a Windows 2000 / Linux dual boot system running fine.

Thanks.  BTW I went ahead early this afternoon and did the install, rebooted
and got lots of 0s running around the screen.  I was glad to fix it doing a
DOS
fdisk /MBR.  Whew....   It was a bit daunting I have to say especially with
the installation
[unlike m$ products], X [kde] ran slower than I expected on my pre-flagship
pc
[Celeron 450Mhz, 160MB ram, 4Meg AGP Riva128] but I guess I could tweak it
[dunno how yet] or settle for some ugly older window manager to make it go
faster what
I would expect it to.  Please don't get me wrong.  I'm all for Linux.... I'd
like to be able
to show my m$ mates a lean-and-mean OS that looks good and does everything
we
use it for.

I guess I'll go and read some more of that install manual...  :)

James

BTW : do most Linux users run X on their personal pc ?