[plug] Partition sizes on a new install

SweenyTod sweenytod at sweenytod.com
Wed Aug 2 11:33:30 WST 2000

At 11:20 AM 2/08/2000, you wrote:
>On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, SweenyTod wrote:
>
> > /var from what my newbie brain can tell seems to be a dumping ground for
> > all sorts of stuff.  There are mail queues, log files which can get pretty
>
>That'd be var for "variable".  System files that change during normal
>running are there. Dont you think /etc/mtab  ought to be in /var ?

At the risk of sounding dumb, I have no idea what mtab is.  :)  I just had
a look at my home machine (SSH rules) and it's got some cryptic file system
stuff in it.

>/etc used to be a dumping groud, before they cleared out everything except
>the config files. Now its badly named. Where can I call for a vote to
>rename /etc to /config ? Or should that be /cfg?

The Linux Standards group is busy doing all this stuff right now I
think.  :)  Join in and have a say.  They've made a /opt, where it seems
third party apps get installed, or parts of them.  Mabye opt for options?

Attend the tale of Sweeney Todd.    His skin was pale and his eye was odd.
Always trust an Australian with a razor.

http://www.sweenytod.com               Paranoid is normal, normal is good