[plug] Partition sizes on a new install

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Wed Aug 2 11:54:04 WST 2000

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, SweenyTod wrote:

> >running are there. Dont you think /etc/mtab  ought to be in /var ?
>
> At the risk of sounding dumb, I have no idea what mtab is.  :)  I just had

Thats one of the things that suck about the english language - they
dropped the 2nd person singular pronouns (thee,thou,thy etc). I meant
you-plural, ie the list.
   mtab is the odd-man-out in /etc . It is a list of currently mounted
partitions. Why this is kept in a plain file as well as the kernel, I have
no idea.

> a look at my home machine (SSH rules) and it's got some cryptic file system
> stuff in it.

You have a cryptographic filesystem?

> The Linux Standards group is busy doing all this stuff right now I

:-)  Problem is, Linux is Unix and cant just do its own thing completely.
Lots of historical baggage, but not as much as Windoze at least, because
we have the source.

--
Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--