[plug] Word Processors and Spredsheets

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Thu Aug 3 16:27:58 WST 2000

Hello,

On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 04:18:15PM +0800, Christian wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 04:20:29PM +0800, Mike Hasleby wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > Can anyone advise of any Word Processor and Spredsheets
> > programs that will handle Word doc and Excel files.  I've
> > tried StarOffice 5.2 but found it too slow and memory
> > hungary - cause a few hangs of Xserver
>
> Gnumeric handles basic Excel spreadsheets ok (nothing complex though)
> and I think Abiword can load Word documents but I'm not sure how good it
> is.  You could get Corel WordPerfect 2000 which supposedly handles them
> quite well, otherwise Star Office is probably your best bet.

StarOffice (I'm talking version 5.1 here) is much better at importing Word
documents than AbiWord. AbiWord is nice and small though, and I'm in the lucky
position where I have hardly any word documents to start with ;)

I use gnumeric but I don't know about it's ability to import Excel
spreadsheets.

Later,

Jason Nicholls