[plug] Ok, the next question...

Steve Baker sbaker at icg.net.au
Fri Aug 4 11:18:26 WST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Breen" <jbreen at wn.com.au>
To: <plug at plug.linux.org.au>
Sent: Friday, 4 August 2000 11:01
Subject: Re: [plug] Ok, the next question...

> >Yup just run sendmail, <duck>or other MTA</duck>, on the linux box
> >if you're
>
> <shift aim slightly lower to hit ducking target>
>
> >on the net the mail will go when it is sent otherwise it will be
> >spooled.
>
> Groovy.
> >
> >You can add sendmail -q to /etc/ppp/ip-up  then when the linux box
> >get online
> >it will despool the mail.
>
> Actually, I was going to set up diald and allow demand dialling of
> the ISP, and use a cron job to fetch my mail.  If I tell sendmail to
> forward all queued mail at the same time, then that _should_ work.
> Right?

Yes, and No.  When sendmail receives a request, it usually tries to verify
the DNS name of the recipient, so it sends a DNS lookup, which kicks diald,
which brings your link up.  Kind of defeats the purpose of spooling it.

This is what heppened when I tried to set up a similar mechanism.  The
sendmail gods on the list may know of a configuration option to prevent
this...?

> >You may look at setting the Smart host in /etc/sendmail.cf, so that
> >the mail
> >goes to your ISP's mail server.
>
> Cool.  I suppose I'll eventually have to learn about sendmail... :)

(...or other MTA... :-)

bakes
--
Steve Baker sbaker at mercatela.com  -- http://www.mercatela.com