[plug] Failed reboot

Robert Andrews squirrel at emerge.net.au
Sat Aug 5 20:56:54 WST 2000

Hi all I in a bit of trouble and need some help
I have a Linux Box Pentium 100
It has been running flawlessly for about 5 months
A short time ago I issued as root smbmount /mnt/peter //peter/c
which is incorrect I think it should have been smbmount /peter/c /mnt/peter
Anyhow it did not work although I have used it before
But the problem was I could not umount it I even tried a -f
So I removed the lock in /var/lock/samba
It still reported that the Device /mnt/peter was busy
So I then deleted the last line in /etc/mntab
still didn't work reported busy
I then stopped and restarted samba
I still could not umount the /mnt/peter
So as a last resort I issued reboot this has always fixed problems that I create by issuing incorrect smbmount commands
However it did not reboot
So I placed my monitor to the Linux box and reset the system
It does a forced check on /dev/hda6:
Which Passes
It then gets to Remounting root filesystem in read-write mode
And that is as far as it get it just hangs there
I do not have a boot disk in fact at the moment I don't have a floppy or cd drive in the system
Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.