[plug] Netscape now unreliable

alan howard alanh at wn.com.au
Sun Aug 6 18:04:37 WST 2000

On Sat, 05 Aug 2000, Leon Brooks wrote:
> BillK wrote:
> > I have just upgraded netscape to 4.74 on Mandrake 7.1 (using the built
> > in Mandrake Update) and suddenly have a real reliability problem.  The
> > previous version (4.73?) wasnt particularly good, especially compared to
> > whatever version came with MD 7.0, but was usable, now it seizes with
> > monotonous regularity (netscape-communicator process in runaway, doesnt
> > come back).  Running 3 or more NS windows open at a time is now
> > impossible.  Has anyone heard of any ideas/solutions as I cannot pin it
> > down.  In particular, has anyone with a similar setup have problems like
> > this?

leon, I also have a simmilar problem , that only started when I up graded from
a 2.2.9 kernel to a 2.2.14 kernel. I have tried netscape 4.6, 4.7 , 4.71, 4.72.
4.73, and am now on 4.74. all seem to have the same problem. It just locks up
and I end up killing it and re-starting netscape. apparantly ( according to
mandrake) netscape 4.5 is more stable. you could always try netscape 6 , if you
like memory leaks, and its problems with frames on some sites (it makes my
isp's home page look weird).

on the subject of bogomips, I use a cyrix  400, linux at boot says the
proccessor speed is 286MHz , with bogomips of 280. is any thing wrong?
bios identifies it as a cyrix 400 (without MHz at the end).

and, last on the subject of intelectual property, when I designed the previous
mentioned device ( LPA for TV) I was ( I think) bound by a trade award (C0219).