Cyrix speeds (Re: [plug] Netscape now unreliable)

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Mon Aug 7 09:11:38 WST 2000

On Sun, 6 Aug 2000, Kai wrote:

> I used to have a Cyrix processor and for some reason the speed they identify
> at is not their true speed !
> I compared my Cyrix 6x86 (200 MHz) against a mates 200 MHz intel and the
> Cyrix was outperformed.

That is because when Cyrix named their processors they chose to
"benchmark" the cyrix against the pentiums, using a benchmark where the
cyrix excelled at, and rated the Cyrix according to that - the "PR" in
"Cyrix PR-200" means Pentium Rating 200 - so they consider it equivalent
to a Pentium 200, even though it is probably only 133MHz or so, and gets
outperformed even by a Pentium of equivalent MHz in most real-world
applications.

It's what happens when you let Marketing guys loose.

 - Matt