[plug] Linux developement

Bradley Woodward sweenytod at sweenytod.com
Mon Aug 7 17:38:21 WST 2000

Greetings.

First, let me apologise for my telstra rant.  I shouldn't have gone overboard
- sorry.  It won't happen again!  :)

Second, I'm a linux convert, and am mentally preparing to shift to running
linux at home full time.  Currently, I bounce between linux and win2000.  I'm
a computer programmer by profession, and that's what I'm interested in under
Linux.

So I've got a howto question.  Currently, I do all my work under /usr/src.
The trouble is that I can't write to this directory it from my normal
account, and need to su to root.  This can't be right though, I think.  Or is
the standard way of developing programs under linux to run all the tools as
root?  How do you profession linux programmers work?

Also, I need some help getting a handle on GUI development.  What are some of
the standard resources for this?

Thanks a lot.