OT: iiNet and bad modems (Re: [plug] Missing opera)

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Wed Aug 9 15:29:00 WST 2000

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, Bret Busby wrote:

> ORIGINAL PROBLEM:
> On 9/8/00 at 7:00 AM, iiNet will be replacing a bad modem on rotary
> 9323-000.  This will give the rotary additional lines that are currently
> not used due to a bad modem.  A bad modem also prohibits our users from
> accessing additional (Free) lines.  Each call terminates on the bad
> modem rather than skipping to the next modem using a round-robin system.

Are they analogue modems?

If so, I'm very surprised iiNet isn't using a "2 line hunt" (which causes
all calls to go round the rotary in circles, so a bad modem only causes
problems once per cycle, rather than stopping access to the modems after
it, which is a "feature" of the standard "1 line hunt")

 - Matt