[plug] Linux developement

Kim Covil kimc at zydeco.ned.dem.csiro.au
Mon Aug 7 18:10:10 WST 2000

> So I've got a howto question.  Currently, I do all my work under /usr/src.
> The trouble is that I can't write to this directory it from my normal
> account, and need to su to root.  This can't be right though, I think.  Or is
> the standard way of developing programs under linux to run all the tools as
> root?  How do you profession linux programmers work?

I do all my personal work under my home area... things I am
downloading/compiling for the system I do under /usr/local/src... I
create a group called local and change the group ownership of everything
under local to it... then I add myself and anyone who needs to compile stuff
for the system and install in /usr/local/bin to that group...

But that's me... :)

Kim

Kim Covil - Australian Geodynamics CRC   E-mail: kimc at ned.dem.csiro.au
            CSIRO Exploration & Mining   Tel: +61 8 9284 8425   ,-_!\
            PO Box 437, Nedlands,        Fax: +61 8 9389 1906  /     \
            Western Australia  6009                            *_,-._/
   Please direct all personal e-mail to kimbotha at covil.com.au

"Not wanting to be accused of going easy on the Sun, we pulled out a
 Mossberg with 20 Gauge buckshot and birdshot, and opened fire again
 from twenty-five feet."

 taken from: "They Don't Make Them Like They Used To"
 http://projects.shn.nu/rkba/deadhardware/oldschool.php3