[plug] Linux developement - a summary

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Tue Aug 8 09:29:55 WST 2000

On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, Bradley Woodward wrote:

> Ok - I take the hint.  Everybody who replied has said the same thing.  Don't
> do the work in /usr/src, because you're going to be forced to su to root.
> Just su when you need to do make install.  Having said that, I really really
> should have made my /home partition a lot bigger.  doh

The alternative is to chgrp /usr/src to group "src" (add it if it doesn't
exist - and note that in Debian and derivations it already is this way)
and add your username to group src.
eg I have a line in /etc/group that has:
src:*:40:root,kemner,zombie,assassin
so root, kemner, zombie and assassin all have access to group "src"

Then if you set the sgid bit on the group (chmod 2775 /usr/src/) you will
force all subdirectories and files to also be created within the src
group.
(Alternatively you can run "newgrp src" as the user, but you may need to
 set a password on the group first)

If you then set your umask to 002 all files and dirs will also be group
writable, so anyone in the src group can edit files you create under
/usr/src
Set umask to 022 if that's not what you want.

 - Matt