[plug] Help: Slow e-mail after DNS move

Earnshaw, Mike earnshawm at wa.switch.aust.com
Tue Aug 8 10:34:02 WST 2000

List,

I thought I was doing a good deed <grin> but I have broken it ...

We have two servers 10.0.1.100 which was the DNS server (RH6). I have
another server also RH6 that I wanted to be the DNS so that I could
remove 1.100, this new one is 1.6

I copied the /var/named/ directory from 1.100 to 1.6 and the named.*
from /etc If I cat /var/named/1.0.10.rev all the IP's seem to be in
there and pointing to the correct places. I can do nslookups from 1.6.

Some e-mails from my win$low exchange box take over 5 hrs to send and
when you check the queue it reports them being delivered but there was a
problem "with host resolution". With the exception of one address I did
a nslookup from 1.100 and 1.6 to these address' and both report the
correct info. (The M$ Support site suggests I "delete the messages in
the queue!" - helpful huh?)

I am really not sure where to look next. Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks

Mike