[plug] Help: Slow e-mail after DNS move

Brian Tombleson Brian at ParadigmIT.com.au
Tue Aug 8 11:25:48 WST 2000

From: "Earnshaw, Mike" <earnshawm at wa.switch.aust.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2000 10:34 AM
Subject: [plug] Help: Slow e-mail after DNS move

> We have two servers 10.0.1.100 which was the DNS server (RH6). I have
> another server also RH6 that I wanted to be the DNS so that I could
> remove 1.100, this new one is 1.6
> I copied the /var/named/ directory from 1.100 to 1.6 and the named.*
> from /etc If I cat /var/named/1.0.10.rev all the IP's seem to be in
> there and pointing to the correct places. I can do nslookups from 1.6.
>
> Some e-mails from my win$low exchange box take over 5 hrs to send and
> when you check the queue it reports them being delivered but there was a
> problem "with host resolution". With the exception of one address I did
> a nslookup from 1.100 and 1.6 to these address' and both report the
> correct info. (The M$ Support site suggests I "delete the messages in
> the queue!" - helpful huh?)
>
> I am really not sure where to look next. Any pointers appreciated.

Mike,

We would need a fair bit more information, but I would suggest using 'dig'
instead of nslookup and specify the server you are querying.  If the error
you are getting is name resolution, then probably either something has not
yet propogated or you've mis-configured it.

Does everything still work/not work the same if you remove the 10.0.1.100
machine from the network?

Are you looking to remove DNS facilities from the 1.100 machine?

- Brian.