[plug] IPV4 some advice

Mark Saxon mark at omninet.net.au
Tue Aug 8 17:14:18 WST 2000

Matt Kemner wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, Mark Saxon wrote:
>
> > I am going to have a go at using IP masquerade  on my MDK 7.1 box.
> >
> > Am planning to load modules by hand for a start till I get it figured  - do I
> > need to load them all
> >
> > what would be the minimum to browse the webb retrieve email etc.
>
> You don't need to load any modules at all for that.  The masq helper
> modules are only for things like ftp, cuseeme, real audio etc.
>
> The only one you should maybe consider loading at a minimum is the ftp
> one.

Well geting   IP masquerade going looked sort of trivial according to the reading
I'd been doing .....or simple any way.
I have booted more times today than in the last six months.  I'm hoping its just
something simple
maybe some one would be kind enough to walk me through it maybe they could spot
it.

Have the vmware host only  virtual  network card vmnet1 on 192.168.246.1 and have
made the following entry in  /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.246.2           win95.linuxbogus.com  win95
192.168.246.3           winnt.linuxbogus.com  winnt
192.168.246.4           linux.linuxbogus.com  linux
192.168.246.5           bsd.linuxbogus.com    bsd

I am starting IPV4 thus

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

and

 ipchains -P forward DENY
 ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.246.2/255.255.255.0 -j MASQ

does this look right?

mark