[plug] IPV4 some advice

BillK billk at iinet.net.au
Tue Aug 8 19:36:55 WST 2000

OK, try using the Mandrake DrakConf/network.  it allows you to turn on
firewall and masqerade settings including an adaptive firewall called
heimdall quite easily.  You will still need the modules for ftp and irc
etc (I loaded them in rc.firewall).  The bad news is if you have tried
to get it going manually, you end up making it hard to do in the fashion
Mandrake intended because it does not anticipate that default settings
may have changed.  Here's to their poor/non existant documentation as
its quite hidden!

Also I managed to zero the heimdall script file when looking at how to
add some extra ipchains to it and cannot find the rpm or where it came
from (generated by something else on install) so am using a script
called pmfirewall I found on the Mandrake site - seems excellent,
adaptive and walks you through opening ports for things like ntp
syncronisation etc, as well as advice like "not recomended".