[plug] Reply-to headers

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Tue Aug 8 17:53:58 WST 2000

Matt Kemner wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, Brian Tombleson wrote:
>
> > (surprise! :), I'm actually wondering why mails from Jon (and a couple of
> > other people) don't have thier originating address as the list, but their
> > own e-mail address in the 'Reply-To' header ?  I would've thought that even
> > if his mail client forced the 'Reply-To', it would be stripped through the
> > list (?)
>
> The mailing list server will not overwrite an existing Reply-to: header
> (unlike some other mailing list server, such as Majordomo)
>
> If enough people complain about it I can change that, though if I had it
> my way the list server wouldn't touch Reply-to: at all.
>
> See http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html for some of the reasons
> why I think that's a bad idea.
>
>  - Matt

I have just visited the link, and think that the writer of the web page
is a bit arrogant, and, mistaken.

I had previously believed, from what had been said by Matt in the past,
about this issue, that the current mailing list application did not
allow overriding the Reply To setting, and that majordomo did. I appear
to have misinterpreted what Matt had previously said about this.

If people use the Reply to All facility in their mail applications, it
means that anyone posting messages to a mailing list, effectively gets
swamped with wasteful messages, when people respond, by getting
duplicates of every response. It wastes bandwidth, and the victim's
storage space.

By setting the mailing list Reply To address, so that it overrides
preset addresses, it ensures that anyone who has their mail application
Reply To address set, whether unwittingly or not, will have the problem
corrected. And, in spite of what the writer of the web page at the above
link says, whenever I get a message from the mailing list, I get both
the Reply To address (usually the mailing list, unless the originator
has it set), and, the address of the originator of the message. Thus, if
a person wants to reply to a message, off the list, unless the person's
mail application does not show this information, it is easy. It can be
done by either using the Reply to All facility, and, deleting the
mailing list address, or, by substituting the originator's email address
for the mailing list email adress in the reply.

If a person wants to respond, by posting a message to the mailing list,
that should be the default, and, should be easier than posting the
preply to the originator of the message. If a person wants to reply
directly to the originator of a message, it is easy enough to do, as
stated above.

When something happens, like netscape resetting the Reply To address
setting, so that it shows the sender's address, and the person posts to
a mailing list, with that Reply To address shown on the distributed
messages, it defeats the purpose of the mailing list. I have had this
happen to me, and have not been aware of it, until someone advised me,
or, I was getting messages sent directly to me instead of to the mailing
list.

I suppose it all goes to why mailing lists are set up.

If the Reply To address can be set, and, is not set, to override preset
Reply To addresses, then, to me, people may as well just use groups of
addressees in their email applications, as, to me, the purpose of the
email list is defeated.

But then, no doubt, I will be the one with whom most disagree, on this
matter.
--

Bret Busby