[plug] defunct process won't die

David Griffiths griffith at environ.wa.gov.au
Wed Aug 9 13:27:33 WST 2000

>> Thanks for the help Steve.
>>
>> >    21989 ?        DW     0:24 [netscape-commun]
>> >    21999 ?        Z      0:00 [netscape-commun <defunct>]
>>
>> the ppid for 21999 is 21989
>> and ppid for 21989 is 1   as you suspected.
>>
>> However a
>>     kill -HUP 1
>> does it's thing OK, but still leaves the two gremlin processess around.
>> (kill -s SIGHUP 1 complains about "s" being an unknown signal).
>>
>> Any further ideas very welcome!
>
>A couple of thoughts:
>
>pid 21989 is in a state of "uninterruptable sleep" with no pages in resident
>memory (DW) - ie it's not a zombie, which explains why a HUP to init
>didn't clean it up (pid 21999 *is* a zombie (Z) and killing 21989 should get
>rid of it) BUT
>
>Use top to tell you which process is in a runaway state (on my Mandrake
>system, when Netscape spaks, it's glibc20 which runs away with itself, hence
>my suggestion to grep the ps output for glibc20) and kill it. If that
>didn't clear the sleeping and zombie processes, then kill -HUP 1 should at
>this point. (kill -s is a BSD'ism, which is probably why it returned an error)
>
>Steve

Hmm... top doesn't throw up anything interesting that I can see (X, kvt and
top are the only processes taking up any cpu and they total about 2 %). The
glibc process isn't present at all in a ps and I can't see anything else
that looks like a runaway process, although my wmmon icon shows significant
(almost constant) activity - it must have some aggregate measure of load.

Might have to reboot and (sob) destroy my uptime :-(

re the kill -s, from the man page it looks like it should work, must be out
of date.

By the way the system is an upraded Red Hat 6.1.

cheers.

  David Griffiths                             griffith at environ.wa.gov.au

  Air Quality Management Branch
  Department of Environmental Protection          Phone:   61 8 9222 7151

  Westralia Square                                Fax  :   61 8 9321 5184
  141 St Georges Tce
  Perth 6000
  Western Australia