[plug] defunct process won't die

adrian_blockley at dingoblue.net.au adrian_blockley at dingoblue.net.au
Wed Aug 9 19:52:47 WST 2000

Dave,

Have you tried any other measures of cpu activity?  Is it possible that
wwmon has got itself into a knot.  I would try restarting X before
rebooting the system. I had the same problem a few months ago - can't
remember how I fixed it though (Heheh probably rebooted) coz my poor
addled brain won't let me.

Good luck

Adrian

On  9 Aug, David Griffiths wrote:

> Hmm... top doesn't throw up anything interesting that I can see (X, kvt and
> top are the only processes taking up any cpu and they total about 2 %). The
> glibc process isn't present at all in a ps and I can't see anything else
> that looks like a runaway process, although my wmmon icon shows significant
> (almost constant) activity - it must have some aggregate measure of load.
>
> Might have to reboot and (sob) destroy my uptime :-(
>
> re the kill -s, from the man page it looks like it should work, must be out
> of date.
>

> By the way the system is an upraded Red Hat 6.1.
>
> cheers.

Adrian  Blockley
adrian_blockley at dingoblue.net.au
Ph 03 9571 4823