[plug] Missing opera

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Wed Aug 9 15:12:01 WST 2000

skribe wrote:

> A tale:
>
> Upon reading the adsl prices I thought, ambitiously, that I'd check to see
> if iinet has any news regarding adsl.  So I typed in the address
> www.iinet.net.au, hit return and got back a host not found error. I
> rechecked my spelling, nothing wrong there, no ,'s instead of .'s or
> anything, hit return again and got the same error.  I tried a different
> machine.  Same.  My modem must have dropped.  Flick switch, click, modem
> dials in, screech, connection. Ping www.iinet.net.au.  Hostname doesn't
> exist.  Ping opera.iinet.net.au.  Hostname doesn't exist.  DNS must be
> screwy.  I had a problem with it once before.  Restart it.  No
> difference.  Try tracerouting to grunge.  Works.  Try opera.  Doesn't
> exist.  Try classic, swing, motown.  All work.  Try pop.  It works.  Pop =
> opera.  It even tells me that the machine is opera.iinet.net.au.  Try opera
> again.  Opera works.  Woohoo! me thinks.  Try www.  Still dead.  Try
> www.ii.net.  It works.  Ring iinet.  Tell them the problem.  "Oh no, it's
> fine on our end," they say.  And I was having such a nice day too =).
>
> Thought I'd share that.  NE1 know why it's happening?

With the above, and the discussion that followed, the skribe person and
any other iinet customers may be interested in subscribing to the
following mailing list... (You don't need to say that it is no good at
the time, if you can't connect, to get the emails - that is obvious,
but, it may be useful for communicating fault information)

It gives both problems as they are diagnosed, and, the solutions after
they are implemented. There was a problem, at the time, that was
included in the postings to that mailing list, from memory. The mailing
list below, also gives notice of any scheduled downtimes.

And, for the sake of the person who objected the last time that I posted
an iinet specific answer to an iinet specific query that was posted on
the mailing list, like that occasion, this also is in response to an
iinet specific query.
--

Bret Busby