[plug] Reply-to headers

Brian Tombleson Brian at ParadigmIT.com.au
Wed Aug 9 16:34:02 WST 2000

> I'm using Netscape, and I don't have the problem Garth has. Occasionally
> a reply defaults to the author rather than the list, but normally to the
> list.

This is precisely the reason a standard (any standard) should be reached so
you don't get 'sometimes it does this, and sometimes it does that' ..
predictable behaviour is my choice, almost regardless of what that behaviour
is.

The original page that Matt posted a link to explained that (in their
oppinioned theory): 'reply' should have gone to the individual and 'reply to
all|group' should gave gone to the list.

The only reason this thread is here is because it does both at different
times.

The only reason I can see to differentiate between whether 'reply' goes to
sender or list is either:
  1. Idiosyncracy with sender's Mail Clients, or
  2. Manually setting a 'Reply-To' header.
.. neither of which are within the control of the person responding to a
message.

Just my 2c worth.

- Brian.