[plug] IPV4 some advice

BillK billk at iinet.net.au
Wed Aug 9 19:33:00 WST 2000

I turn it on with the following:

NETWORKING=yes
FORWARD_IPV4=yes
HOSTNAME="Ralph"
GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
GATEWAYDEV=ppp0

in /etc/sysconfig/network.  Some entries appeared by setup, I changed
the ipv4 one to yes.

No I have not found a setting to do this, but I am sure one exists,
somewhere, maybe, mustbe, I think ....

Mandrake is *much* easier to setup than RedHat (flameproof suit on)
initially as most settings are already done, and the tools, when one
finds them are good.  Also applications usually are compiled with all
options on which can make a real difference between doing it the hard
way and using modern conveinences.  The downside is its a bit more
difficult if one decides to do something out of the ordinary, tho not a
lot as I usually just revert to the RedHat way of doing it (most RedHat
tools like printtool (still better than MD's) and control panel (yuk)
etc still exist.

In short, would I go back to RedHat on my next upgrade - no, cant be
bothered going thru extra hours of setup just to get a usable machine
when Mandrake finishes the install in a more usable state than RH after
many hours extra work!  (my systems have been RH5.0, 5.1, 5.2, MD 6.0,
6.1, 7.0, 7.1, RH6.1 and using RH 6.0 & 6.1 and an old slakware
elsewhere)

BillK