Fw: [plug] PostgreSQL

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Wed Aug 9 21:14:09 WST 2000

> I need some reference material on how to setup postgres
> and maintain it... also has anyone been able to get the
> ODBC driver to work?

Yes, but not well. Try the driver in unixODBC
(http://www.unixodbc.org/).

> I have also heard that there is a
> gui based front end in Star Office...

For Adabas. I hadn't heard that it drove anything else.

> for a reference
> point my experience in DB's is SQL 6.5/7.0 and Oracle 7.3

Well... you don't _need_ to dedicate a whole machine to PostGreSQL...
(-: Setup and admin is *much* simpler than Oracle, but OTOH most of the
repair tools are missing as well.

There are also a few historical gotchas in PostGreSQL, scheduled to
evapourate in the next release or two, for example an 8KB per row (not
including the contents of BLOBs) size limit. Being bought by Great
Bridge should speed a lot of development up.

Bon fortune.

--
Other than that, Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?