[Fwd: Re: [plug] Reply-to headers]

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Thu Aug 10 14:13:57 WST 2000

On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 01:53:09PM +0800, Matt Kemner wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, russ wrote:

> If this happens on _every_ email you receive from the list then there is
> nothing I can do, because Netscape is ignoring reply-to altogether - so
> the only way to force replies to the list would be to have the list
> manager munge the From: header
>
> I'm sure I don't need to list the reasons why _that_ would be a
> "Bad Idea(tm)"

Actually, at the rate this debate is going it looks like maybe you're
going to have to!  You've explained how the list currently works, the
problems *some* people have with it and what the possible options for
change are but somehow it just seems people are getting more and more
confused.

The way the list works currently seems quite reasonable to me (although
I don't really care that much if it changes to munge reply-to).  The
problem is not the list itself but people setting their reply-to headers
for odd reasons.  The major agitator this time (as is common) seems to
be Bret (one T) who, sometimes seems to set his reply-to header and
other times doesn't.  (I remember helping him fix the problem by
removing his reply-to headers a few months ago but since he seems to
have changed back and forth a bit.) What I don't see is why everyone is
jumping up and down and making a big fuss for.  The way the list works
is *very* simple.  If you want mail to come back to you alone, set
reply-to accordingly.  If you don't, don't.  The mailing list has been
behaving this way for many, many months and so why so many people are
having a fit over it now, I just don't understand.  Can the thread just
end?  There is really no need for all this debate (most of which is
nonsense).  The way the list works *should* be extremely clear by now so
configure your mail clients accordingly and get on with your lives.

> > I vote that the reply goes to the list.
>
> Then you don't understand the question.
> The reply already goes to the list, unless the Author wants it to go back
> to them.  If it doesn't work for you, I'd seriously look at another MUA

Or learn how to use the one you're currently using properly...