[plug] GUI vs text mail readers

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Fri Aug 11 09:41:57 WST 2000

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Mike Holland wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, xxxxx wrote:
>
> > Is there a GUI version of pine now?
>
>  [sigh].  Mail is a textual medium.  <rant>
>
> Pine does mime, html etc. You can view attached images easily.
> Its faster to display and control and any WIMP system. You can use a mouse
> to point-and-drool if you really must.
> </rant>
>
>   Ok, I'm a CLUE snob. Why? We all use netscape and not lynx for web.
> But am I a dinosaur for preferring a text-based mail reader?
> Why do some people refuse to consider one?

I did a quik look through the mail archive.

     %         Sum         MUA
----------+---------+---------------------

  [snip lots of MUAs that scored >1%]
	0.3%        38      XFMail
    0.8%        99      Mozilla/3.0
    0.9%        112     Calypso
    1.1%        144     Novell            (GroupWise)
    1.7%        219     ELM
    2.1%        267     KMail
    4.2%        540     exmh
    4.4%        574     Mutt
    5.8%        757     QUALCOMM
    6.7%        867     Internet
    11.1%       1444    Microsoft         (lookout and clones)
    25.7%       3336    Pine              (SunOS, Linux, Win)
    32.2%       4189    Mozilla           (Linux , Mac, Win

Total:  12995

So as you can see over 25% of the post to the plug list since May 1998 have
been with pine.   which means eaith leon uses pine (*grin*) or lots of people
have looked at and are using pine as there MUA.

These stats could have been gathered in an much better way BUT they'll do as
an illustration.

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein