[plug] defunct process won't die

David Griffiths griffith at environ.wa.gov.au
Fri Aug 11 11:06:02 WST 2000

>Dave,
>
>Have you tried any other measures of cpu activity?  Is it possible that
>wwmon has got itself into a knot.  I would try restarting X before
>rebooting the system. I had the same problem a few months ago - can't
>remember how I fixed it though (Heheh probably rebooted) coz my poor
>addled brain won't let me.
>
>Good luck
>
>Adrian

Hi Age (and list),

sorry for the late reply to suggestions on this one but I "toog yebberday
off wib a bad heb cowld".

Yes I tried quitting X, and logging off.

As Mike and someone else hinted, it was probably the parent of the defunct
process that was throwing up activity on wmmon (only looked at ktop apart
from top, didn't see any runaway procs, can't remember what cpu usage
looked like). Tried all list suggestions for killing both, to no avail.

It may have been coincidence but netscape was particularly flaky while
these procs were hanging around so I ended up rebooting.

If anyone has a similar problem and figures out how to solve it I would be
interested to hear how it was done as this has happened on more than one
occasion. (might be time to try a newer version of netscape).

Thanks list for all suggestions,

cheers,

Dave.

  David Griffiths                             griffith at environ.wa.gov.au

  Air Quality Management Branch
  Department of Environmental Protection          Phone:   61 8 9222 7151

  Westralia Square                                Fax  :   61 8 9321 5184
  141 St Georges Tce
  Perth 6000
  Western Australia