[plug] Virtual Name Hosts

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Sun Aug 13 23:57:41 WST 2000

skribe wrote:
> I want to set up a virtual name host for apache (1.3.12).  I have one IP
> number and two domain names: www.amber.com.au and www.otherdomain.com.

> I do the following in the http.conf:

> NameVirtualHost my.ip.number

> <VirtualHost my.ip.number>
>         ServerAdmin root at localhost
>         DocumentRoot /home/httpd/other-domain
>         ServerName www.otherdomain.com
>         ErrorLog /var/log/otherdomain-error_log
>         CustomLog /var/log/otherdomain-access_log common
> </VirtualHost>

> According to some docs, that's all I have to do.  Unfortunately this
> results in a you don't have access to / error.  I note that without the
> Virtual host my apache set-up works fine.

Do you have Apache set to allow access to /* or /home/* or only to
/home/httpd/html/* ?

Perhaps the directory /home/httpd/other-domain is not world-executable
or the index file within it is not world-readable.

Another potential problem is that someone else (yournamefree.com) is
hosting http://www.otherdomain.com/ as we type. (-:

While you're in there, add a ServerAlias to otherdomain.com (no www). I
also like to put ww and wwww in there (and in the DNS) to catch typoes.

--
If life is merely a joke, the question remains: for whose amusement?