[plug] Virtual Name Hosts

skribe skribe at amber.com.au
Mon Aug 14 09:52:41 WST 2000

At 23:57 13/08/00, Leon Brooks wrote:
>Do you have Apache set to allow access to /* or /home/* or only to
>/home/httpd/html/* ?

I'm a little fuzzy on your use of terminology (poor English teachers
;).  If you mean given access through the <DIRECTORY> tag, yeah, access is
given to /, /home/httpd/html and also sometimes
/home/httpd/other-domain.  I mention sometimes, because, when I do that,
other-domain/index.html replaces my html/index.html.  It's very weird.

>Perhaps the directory /home/httpd/other-domain is not world-executable
>or the index file within it is not world-readable.

They are.

>Another potential problem is that someone else (yournamefree.com) is
>hosting http://www.otherdomain.com/ as we type. (-:

My current setup (without virtualhosts) results in the amber.com.au index
file being shown when I use the www.otherdomain.com address.  So I doubt
it.  But it is technically possible.

>While you're in there, add a ServerAlias to otherdomain.com (no www). I
>also like to put ww and wwww in there (and in the DNS) to catch typoes.

I edited for brevity.  I've used with and without serveralias.  Same result.

skribe
	Purity:                           62.0%
	Corruption:                    38.0%
	Insanity:                        36.3636363636364%
	Weirdness factor:           31%
	Experience Level:           JonKatz Wannabe
	Medieval Career:            Black Knight