[plug] urgent sendmail problem

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Mon Aug 14 16:18:03 WST 2000

On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, Chris Darby wrote:

> im wondering if someone can help me, ive setup sendmail here on our
> linux server, the server can recieve the mail, i can see it in there
> queue and the mailboxes, however when i try to access the mail via pop3
> from a remote source i get the message, "connection unexpectidly
> terminated", does anyone know what this mite be, ive enabled pop3 in the
> inetd.conf, and ive setup the rest of sendmail as it is on one of our
> other servers, on the other servers it works perfectly.  Can anyone
> point me in the right direction, or if necessary go in an have a look
> themselves, i need to fix this problem within 24 hours.

Pop3 has nothing to do with sendmail.  If you can't use pop3 to get your mail
you have a pop3 problem.

things to check.
a) inetd.conf has an entry for pop3
b) the pop3 daemon (of your choice) is installed on the machine.
c) if you edited inetd.conf you reloaded it (killall -HUP inetd)
d) you can happily use pop3 from the machine the service is running on.
   ie
$ /usr/sbin/ipop3d
+OK POP3 pandora.cantech.net.au v7.59 server ready
USER USERNAME
+OK User name accepted, password please
pass PASSWORD
QUIT
+OK Sayonara

e) you can access the pop3 service from a machine on the same network
f) your hosts access files are correct for your setup.

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein
 */