[plug] horrors!

Beau Kuiper kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au
Thu Aug 17 13:38:06 WST 2000

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, Scott, Simon wrote:
> But really, who cares? Office is bloat anyway, and Microsoft is as good as

I do actually!

Office is bloat compared to what????. I don't see anything on linux that can
work nearly as well as an office port could.

You have staroffice, but in my testing, it is far far worse than I could ever
imagine. It is so bloated, it makes office seem lightweight and fast.

Next you have word perfect. There is one word I can give word perfect 8.
Terrible. It is not only bloated, but lacks vital features and is really
annoying.

Perhaps Word perfect office for linux is better, but what I have read so far
doesn't give me much hope.

And abiword. Abiword is fast and neat, but it only has very basic
functionality.  Gnurmeric is quite good though.

And then there is Koffice. It has been progressing nicely, but still isn't
ready for use yet :-(

> dead, so I wont be rushing out to buy it.

As for microsoft being dead, you could not be further from the truth. Of
course, this being a linux list, truth does not need to be considered before
you spout off. I am not defending microsoft though, just saying that they are
going to be around for a while.

As for rushing out and buying it, if the port is good and functions well, and
is not bloated beyond the point of useabilitiy (like staroffice), then I will
probably buy myself a copy.

This is of course if microsoft actually does and sells the port.

>                                      IMPORTANT INFORMATION

More like unimportant unenforcable drivel that fills our mailboxes (mine is like
50meg of mail)

Beau Kuiper
kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au