[plug] horrors!

The Thought Assassin assassin at live.wasp.net.au
Thu Aug 17 13:55:34 WST 2000

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, Beau Kuiper wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, Scott, Simon wrote:
> > But really, who cares? Office is bloat anyway, and Microsoft is as good as
> I do actually!
> Office is bloat compared to what????. I don't see anything on linux that can
> work nearly as well as an office port could.
> You have staroffice, but in my testing, it is far far worse than I could ever
> imagine. It is so bloated, it makes office seem lightweight and fast.
But if the GPL version becomes available anytime soon, it will be stripped
back and componentized long before Microsoft could release a beta-quality
port of MSOffice. (Mainsoft's claim of creating native Unix ports in hours
notwithstanding.)

> And abiword. Abiword is fast and neat, but it only has very basic
> functionality.
Hopefully some cross-pollination with SO will occur.

-Greg Mildenhall